[geeks] Sneaking around keyword itis

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Nov 25 20:16:49 CST 2002

On Monday, Nov 25, 2002, at 16:33 US/Central, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> So, XML is hot.  Everything this and everything that must be XML.  XML
> is even being used for programming languages.

For $deity only knows what reason.  XML is, for all practical purposes,
wordy Scheme with potentially significant whitespace.  It's great for
storing irregularly structured data, but I still don't see how/why it's
going to be the saving grace of IT/CS.

> So, what did one guy do?  He took his favorite programming language and
> swapped the ('s and )'s for <'s and >'s.  Voila
> http://www.waterlang.org

   "Water".<key_of <char "t"/> /> ?
   <vector 5 10 99/>.<last/> ?
   "Mike|Plusch|28840".<to_object maker=person separator="|"/> ???

What is this the -only- person in the world who decided that PHP is too
consistent and beautiful and that PERL is too readable?  And this is
"Simplified XML programming for the web", hm?  Blargh.  What happened
to simple meaning simple?

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems