[geeks] Re: geeks digest, Vol 1 #2176 - 19 msgs

dana at dtn.com dana at dtn.com
Mon Nov 25 14:30:00 CST 2002

>>No, No, that was "Cyber[war-terrorism]" that they've been hyping for
years.
>>EMP protection is just kinda an offshoot from the "TEMPEST" protection
>>crowd.
>
>There were some people lumping the two in together, but yeah, you're
>right, I think they were more focused on the "cyber" thing.
>
>I have to say tempest is very real, and amazingly scary from a security
>POV.

I am not saying it does not, I was just saying that the EMP defense crowd
and the "TEMPEST" defense crowd are one in the same.  The best defense to
both of them is shielding and distance.

Although, even after seeing some demonstrations the "TEMPEST" threat is
really minimal unless you have no control over your immediate (say 5-10
meters) surroundings.  Most organisations that have something big enough to
protect from the kinda guys who come after you with "TEMPEST" equipment
take basic precautions.  The govt community has also come to this
conclusion and changed many of the regs. (obviously some of the stuff
did/will not change (red/black seperation, etc), but I don't expect we'll
be building a bunch more shielded buildings down the road).

Dan