[geeks] Anybody can borrow me $10k? hehe....

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 09:18:59 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 06:06:04AM -0500, Donald McClure wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 02:29  AM, Yuri K wrote:
> > but I have a question as a student of English:
> >    Wasn't the subj supposed to read "Anybody can lend me $10k?"
> >    Or am I still brainwashed by Commies? They taught us that one
> >    borrows from...
> Your brainwashers were correct. This, however, is a bit of slang.

Not one I've come across.  At least here, "anybody can borrow me $10k?" is
just plain wrong.  But English varies widely from place to place, espcially
from one side of the puddle to t'other.

> Another similar example would be the substitution of the word "learned"
> for "taught," as in "Mrs. Mathers learned me how to spell my name
> today." or "She learnt me real good." I used to hear this kind of thing
> a lot when I lived in Kentucky.

The "anybody can" construction grates on me too.  Whilst it is correct under
some circumstances, it ain't here.  It should be "can anybody".  Again,
YdialectMV.

One person can change the world, but most of the time they shouldn't
    -- Marge Simpson