[geeks] POWER5!!!!

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu Nov 21 07:11:54 CST 2002

> > Bush was elected, according to the laws governing the
> > election of the President of the United States.  He
> > won the Electoral College even though he didn't win
> > the popular vote.
> >
> > Sure, the Electoral College is a stupid idea in this
> > day and age, but by law it decides the president.
>
>    Technicality.  If "voting to elect the president" actually involved
> everyone casting votes and having those votes tallied, would he still
> have won?

Who knows?  There's not very good validation, so who knows how
many votes that were cast around the country were invalid?  There
were lots of complaints both ways, but the Republican complaints
didn't get the air time the Democrat complaints did.

> > Saddam is nuts.  He's proved in the past that he has no qualms
> > about using chemical weapons against his foes.  He's also tried
> > to get nuclear weapons.  He's financed terrorism.  He's tried
> > to commit genocide.  He's another Hitler waiting to happen.
>
>    Absolutely.  That's why we should've nuked the sonofabitch a decade
> ago during the gulf war instead of wimping out.  Unfinished business
> yadda yadda.  I maintain, however, that these issues are separate from
> Bush's grandstanding.

We didn't have to nuke him.  We had the advantage and could
have taken him out conventionally.  If we'd gotten close,
one of his trusted people would have taken him out for the
rewards.

I think Saddam's attempt to assassinate Bush's father has
something to do with the current situation.  I know if I
were POTUS I'd use any means in my power to go after the
culprit.

> > One problem we have is that *EVERY* country in the Middle East
> > supports, either officially or unofficially, terrorism against
> > the United States.
>
>    Well then, the obvious answer is a takeover. ;)

Or we could just pull out of the ME completely, let them all
fight it over, then deal with the winner.  If the fight ends
in mutual destruction, we can step in real easy.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net