[geeks] Office OS X

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 20 15:19:35 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 04:07:08PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
>

> > Myself, I use emacs instead of Word, siag or gnumeric instead of Excel
> > (though more often I just scratch out small scheme or elisp files
> > instead of using either), and probably the Gimp or Illustrator instead
> > of PowerPoint.  The only thing I don't have a great substitute is
> > Access.  Who needs any of the normal office suites?
> >

> Well, if I got off my lazy ass and learned something other than OpenOffice I
> might be able to do mailing labels, business cards, cards, brochures, etc -
> all without depending on OpenOffice.  The problem is, OpenOffice does it
> *so* well, that I have no desire to change what I use.

You do business cards in OpenOffice?  I would have expected that to
definately be an Illustrator task, likewise for brochures and cards most
likely.  Well, if I had to do a brochure, I'd try Illustrator.  I'm not
a major illustrator wizard though, so if time was short, I might have to
fall back to Corel Draw, which I've insisted on using instead of Word
for design tasks since I was able to find a cheap copy at a computer show.

Mailing labels I mainly do by hand.  If I had to do a lot of them, I
expect I'd write a script to db merge into raw postscript.

--
Joshua D. Boyd