[geeks] POWER5!!!!

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 20 14:40:23 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 dave at cca.org wrote:

> Yee-ha! According to this article:
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-485578,00.html
>
> Macs and game consoles are available with the POWER5 CPU!
> I can't wait to get mine!

LOL.  I think these people think that POWER5 is PowerPC architecture or
something.  I do believe that one of the current game consoles is based on
PowerPC.  Gamecube?  Might not be right with that one.

> Relevant paragraph:
>

> 	ASCI Purple will be built using 12,544 IBM Power5
> 	microprocessors, the same chips that are used in
> 	Apple PCs and Nintendo games systems.  It will
> 	have autonomic software, allowing it to monitor
> 	itself for hardware breakdowns or lack of
> 	capacity. Blue Gene/L will be able to map stars in
> 	three dimensions, analyse earthquakes, and help in
> 	oil exploration.

I expect when POWER5 first hits the streets, it will be *expensive*.  Just
like POWER4 was.  I believe that POWER4's prices will drop like a rock
though.  Not like they aren't already approaching something reasonable.

Peace...  Sridhar