[geeks] Office OS X

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 20 14:38:13 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 03:31:26PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'm hearing reports that Office for OS X listens on port 96 for UDP
> > packets from the network.  Anyway know anything about this?  Is it
> > exploitable?  That would make me think long and hard about continueing
> > to avoid OS X when I get my Mac (spoken in faith that I'll be able to
> > get one before OS XI comes out).
>
> Or just don't run Office on OS-X.  I'm waiting until OpenOffice or
> StarOffice becomes available - it does way more than I'll ever need to do,
> and it costs *way* less than Office.

Myself, I use emacs instead of Word, siag or gnumeric instead of Excel
(though more often I just scratch out small scheme or elisp files
instead of using either), and probably the Gimp or Illustrator instead
of PowerPoint.  The only thing I don't have a great substitute is
Access.  Who needs any of the normal office suites?

--
Joshua D. Boyd