[geeks] Postscript question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 20 00:07:50 CST 2002

On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, at 12:47 AM, Jonathan C. Patschke
wrote:
>> One can hope that as OS X matures it will get better in these areas.
>> My
>> understanding was that it is so different that porting the standard
>> tools isn't trivial.
>
> Well, as much as the marketroids like to say "it's Unix!!" to the
> techies, it isn't really--at least, not as an entire system.  The
> problems with porting recovery/repair tools are twofold.  For one,
> the standard filesystem is HFS+, not UFS or FFS, so you have to deal
> with multiple forks and all the other HFS weirdness.

   Not to be argumentative, but...

   I can sit and write "UNIX-ish" code in C all day on an OS X box and
have things Just Work.  And I sit at this machine all day, every day,
and I have yet to even notice the existence of multiple forks, though I
haven't exactly gone looking for them.

   I've been a UNIX bigot since X10 (yes, X release TEN) was
current...and OS X is UNIX enough for me.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "So you're really not gonna bite on the
St. Petersburg, FL              transvestite bait?"    -Doc Shipley