[geeks] Anybody can borrow me $10k? hehe....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Nov 19 15:22:55 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 03:16:01PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I have one blade 1K, with a single 900Mhz US-III CPU, and 1G RAM.  It
> actually hasnt been powered up in about a month.

How sad.

> PowerMac G4 Cube, 450Mhz, 20G HD, GeForce 2MX, 18.1" LCD
>  (on my desk at home)
>
> Anything I do on these boxes I could do equally well, maybe not exactly as
> fast, on a SM71 SS20 or 140Mhz Ultra 1.  The only difference is how fast
> web pages render or screens redraw.

I know it is possible, but it seems unrealistic trying to do DV editing
on a SS20 or U1.  Not that I wouldn't love to try.  I know there was a
SDI sbus card made once upon a time.  And if one could get their hands
on one of those, they probably could easily buy a DV<->SDI bridge.  Of
course, getting enough disk bandwidth in the Sun would be problematic
since while DV is compressed, SDI aint.  In the SDI world, the solution
would have been a frame acurate VCR, so you only grab frames as fast as
you can store them, but that ain't going to work with DV.  Aah, the fun
one could have if they could easily make unobtainium parts appear out of
thin air.

--
Joshua D. Boyd