[geeks] Gnome and KDE hang on login...

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 17 15:52:43 CST 2002

Any of you guys familiar with Gnome's startup scripts on linux? I'm having
problems with a new box I just built, here's the body of a message I posted to
redhat-list...

> I don't know if this belongs on the Vallhalla or Xfree86 lists but figured
this'd be a good place to start.

> I've just installed Redhat 7.3 on a new Athlon Thunderbird on an Asus
A7N266-VM board, with onboard Geforce 2MX, LAN etc. I've managed to get RH
installed and booting fine, now X is giving me trouble.

> I've followed the instructions to install the appropriate Nvidia drivers
from RPMs...

> NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0246.rh73up_2.4.18_3
> NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.rh73up
> NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123
>
> and edited XF86Config-4 accordingly. Running startx initialises X and then I
get the RH spash screen saying it's starting the various GNOME services, then
this vanishes, I get the grey taskbar and the box hangs and has to be hard
reset.

> Running prefdm and trying to login to a KDE session does the same thing. If
I login using Failsafe (TWM?) though, that's fine, implying that X itself
isn't the problem, it's something GNOME/KDE specific. I see the same problem
wether running at 1600x1200x24bit or 640x480x8bit.

> I seem to remember seeing a post somewhere when I was searching for the
solution to a problem with grub throwing "error 28"s (resolved by just
sticking with LILO) that someone else had experienced similar X problems and
traced the errors to KDE/GNOME running some startup sripts/apps that tried to
do something power management related. I've had a look but I can't see
anything obvious.

I've subsequently managed to get KDE sorted, it was, as I'd read somewhere,
some sort of APM probe while the Windowing systems startup. There's a laptop
APM section in /usr/bin/startkde...

# if [ ! -e "$HOME"/.kde/share/config/kcmlaptoprc -a -e /proc/apm ]; then
#  # Try to figure out if we're on a laptop
#  if ! /bin/cat /proc/apm |grep -q "?"; then
    # We appear to be on a laptop with battery status notification
#    cat >"$HOME"/.kde/share/config/kcmlaptoprc <<EOF
#[BatteryDefault]
#Enable=true
#EOF
#  fi
#fi

And commenting that out allowed KDE to start succesfully. Now to fine the
Gnome equivalent, I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is Sawfish/Window Maker
specific or Gnome or what. Any one got any clues?

Cheers,

Will.