[geeks] eek2, debian

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Nov 14 07:33:28 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:06:42AM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > Just took a look at my dmesg:
>
> > hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdb: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=15402664,
> > sector=15402600
> > end_request: I/O error, dev 03:41 (hdb), sector 15402600
>
> [evil hard drive errors deleted].
>
> Ahh... that does help explain your problems.  I was boggling at the apt
> and dpkg errors you were getting... I've used Debian for quite some time
> and I've never seen those...

Of course, the related question is, how do I fix those programs once the
harddrive is replaced.  See, /var, /home, /usr/*/doc, /usr/local/src,
and select software packages are on the failing harddrive, but most of
the system is on a different disk working quite happily, and it would be
a shame to have to reinstall because of a few lost damaged files in
/var.

--
Joshua D. Boyd