[geeks] argh Solaris

Alessandro Vesely vesely at tana.it
Tue Nov 12 07:03:40 CST 2002

Yes, it was 7 months ago, but then I couldn't find a good answer...
on Sat, 13 Apr 2002 03:51:12 -0400 Big Endian wrote
> >On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:21:30PM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> >
> >man page says that crle -u updates it's config file, and that if it doesn't
> >exist create it.
> >
> >crle -u returns "crle: /var/ld/ld.config: open failed: No such file or
> >directory"

Because it isn't there by default...

> >crle: /var/ld/ld.config: open failed: No such file or directory
>
> touch /var/ld/ld.config

doesn't work either... The first time one uses this command,
should be to confirm the system default:

# crle -l /usr/lib

That creates a configuration file that is compatible with the
default behaviour. Next command most probably is

# crle -u -l /usr/local/lib

That adds a path which is good for most GNU stuff. Repeat
the above steps replacing "crle -64" for "crle" and
specifying the sparcv9 directories, if you run 64 bits arch.

I should recall that crle is cleaner than LD_LIBRARY_PATH
because the latter also affects compile-time linking. And
both are better than using the -R compile time flag since
they keep the flexibility that shared objects deserve.

Ciao
Ale