[geeks] IPFilter experts?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Nov 11 13:49:59 CST 2002

woods at weird.com (Greg A. Woods) wrote:

> [ On Monday, November 11, 2002 at 11:13:43 (-0500), Kurt Huhn wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [geeks] IPFilter experts?
> >
> > I'm far from an ipfilter wizard, but good firewall ruleset design goes
> > something like this:
> >  - allow specific ports/services to specific systems inbound
> >  - allow specific ports/services to specific systems outbound
> >  - deny everything else from everything to everthing
>
> No, that's not a "good firewall design".  That's an anal-retentive
> nutcase firewall.  Some networks really do need that kind of setup, but
> most don't.  It's by far the most difficult configuration to use, debug,

Well, that's true - some networks don't need a ruleset so restrictive.  And
me, being somewhat anal when it comes to the security of my networks, I
prefer this type of setup.  It's not difficult to debug and maintain at all
- as long as you know what you're doing and have a basic grasp of network
security and network protocols, as well as logical thought.  Being a
Security Geek, among other things, I err on the side of caution - because
few things are more important than the security of my networks.

> A "good firewall design" matches the requirements of the network it is
> protecting.  No more, and no less.

And mine always do, I endeavor to always to make my networks as secure as
possible given the tools and resources available to me.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com