[geeks] Makefile question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Nov 9 15:56:28 CST 2002

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> So, there isn't some way to get around adding all those extra lines
> other than writing a script that builds the makefile?

GNU Automake was written to take care of things like this.

> See, new .cpp files are continually being added, both by me and
> another guy, and the other guy doesn't care (grr) to know anything

Willful ignorance is a shooting offense in my book.

> Well I've converted it to your way for now.  In a day or two, if nothing
> else is suggested, I'll just break down and make a shell script to
> create the Makefile, either that or learn autoconf, etc.

The "autobook" at Red Hat's site is a good tutorial on getting started
with autoconf and automake.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.