DD'ing IRIX Disks (was Re: [geeks] Apple vs. Sun)

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Nov 7 13:48:42 CST 2002

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 01:37 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Now, out of curiosity, why hasn't somebody written an assembly template
> to work around this?

You don't even need to write it in assembly.  inet_ntoa() is just a
wrapper around snprintf().  GCC supposedly ships with such a wrapper,
but I've never seen it work, so I usually hack in my own.

> It also sounds like it should be simple for someone to make a wrapper
> library to fix most of the problems.

You're not going to be able to fix the semaphore bugs with a wrapper, I
think.  The bugs are in the function-calling mechanism, and the
semaphore calls go into the kernel and back out.  By that time, the
data is already corrupt.  The only way you could wrap around it would
be an inline-assembly routine that did the function call by hand.  I
suppose it would work, but it would be messy, and you'd still need to
modify the source for each dependent source file to make it work.

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems