[geeks] FW: Argh, my Cool rescue dies horible death

chris at chrisbyrne.com chris at chrisbyrne.com
Wed Nov 6 19:38:04 CST 2002

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 04:43:30PM -0000, Chris Byrne wrote:

> The biggest problem I'm having with the system right now is that for
> some reason I cant get any Linux distro to install on it because the
> DAC960 drivers fail to load.

Well someone mentioned that a specific rev of firmware was needed for the
drivers, so I went and tracked down said firmware, and the BIOS update for
the machine required to support that rev of firmware.

I think you all know where this is going

During the flash BIOS update the system hung. Hard. No escape no surrender

I reset and hoped for something. Im getting no display and no beep, plus
nothing on the front panel display but the SCSI controllers init and the
drives spin up so I know it's not totally dead. Plus I'm getting a light on
the floppy. From the noise I think its reading the floppy which means it MAY
be possible to reflash, unfortunately with no video I can't even try it.

I've looked at the manual and the board itself and I don't think theres a
flash reset or double BIOS on this rev of the board (though later revs did
have it apparently) so I'm going to try and track down a PCI vid card and
see if it will init up enough for me to reflash.

If not... Somehow I seriously doubt I'll be able to find the right BIOS chip
for this system considering it's seven years old.

Any other ideas?

Of course if all else fails I can just salvage out the drives, autoloader,
and raid controller, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Chris Byrne

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 04:43:30PM -0000, Chris Byrne wrote:

> The biggest problem I'm having with the system right now is that for
> some reason I cant get any Linux distro to install on it because the
> DAC960 drivers fail to load.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]