DD'ing IRIX Disks (was Re: [geeks] Apple vs. Sun)

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Wed Nov 6 18:06:43 CST 2002

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>

>>I might add in my O2 as well. But I will have to reinstall IRIX onto a
>>larger drive (I have a 2GB drive and it is REALLY full). Acutally it is
>>funny, right now my O2 only has 2x it's memory for HD space. I wonder if
>>I could just DD from one drive to another (2GB to 9GB).
>>

>You can dd the slices, but not the whole disk.  Make your label in fx
>(keeping the duplicated slices the same size as the original), dd the
>slices, and mkfs the unused space.
>
>I've never done it with a bootable disc, though, so I don't know what
>you'd have to do about the volume header that holds the boot code and
>sash.  If it's outside of the label, you could just dd it.  If not,
>things might get tricky.  I really -should- know whether the label lives
>there or not, but I'm having an embarrasing memory block right now.

It's probably best that I just reinstall. I have the CD's, and I could
probably partition better. It's just a rather painfull installation.

But I could do it on my Octane at the same time (it needs a clean
install onto a larger disk as well).

Maybe I will catch up on some taped TV shows while I shuffle disks.

shawn