[geeks] Misuse of Java

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Nov 6 16:26:45 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, November 6, 2002 at 22:09:53 (+0000), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Misuse of Java
>
> ... which is discouraged for use in anything other than a throw-away script.
> In code which I might have to maintain next week, I'd write something more
> like ...

You just never know, now do you.  If you choose a better language in the
first place then you might still be able to maintain that program you
thought you would have thrown away after it's first use....  :-)

> If you mean pass-by-reference, then I beg to disagree.  There are times
> when that's actually quite useful.

You see, that's the kind of thing were perl does exactly what I said it
does -- it encourages bad programming practices.

>  The recommended idiom makes that go
> away anyway

A semi-decent language doesn't _require_ certain idioms just to produce
a decent result (yes, C fails miserably here too, almost as miserably as
programming in raw machine code by hand).

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>