[geeks] Misuse of Java

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Nov 6 16:24:30 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:13:11PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 04:37:04PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > How is perl easier to get started in than Python?
>
> Because of "my code doesn't work, I typed it exactly like it said in the
> book".
>
> "you used spaces instead of tabs (or is it tabs instead of spaces)"
>
> :-)
>
> Actually, I've never written any python, so can't comment.

spaces instead of tabs.  A problem that they would generally have if
they used emacs with the python module, or some other intelligent
editor.  I don't know if vi can be taught to be intelligent about such
things.

On a side note, I want to know why the command line python tool doesn't
auto indent.  It seems it should be so simple to automagically insert an
appropriate number of tabs with the assumption that that new line is
part of the same block as is indicated by the prior line.  Then, if
people want to end the block, the can hit backspace once to get rid of
it.  This is how most editors handle things, from what I've seen, BTW.

I find python to be a delightfull language for quickly dashing out OO
systems.  I wish it were equally good with Guis, but I've always had
trouble getting wxpython to cooperate on linux.  And wxpython is so very
nice on windows to boot.

--
Joshua D. Boyd