[geeks] Misuse of Java

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Nov 6 16:00:06 CST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Let us not forget the fact that Java doesn't have to be compiled to byte
> code.  It can be compiled to machine code.

True, and, conversely, code that runs on the JVM doesn't have to be
written in Java.  It can be written in JVM assembly or in anything.

> Unless things have changed dramatically recently, things like Java3D are
> a real pain on platforms other than Windows and Solaris.

Java3D also isn't a core component.  It's an add-on package.

> Personally, I like the GTK way of doing things with containers in
> containers, etc, all sorting themselves out and scaling nicely, for the
> most part.

It's okay.  Java has the same approach, and it makes a lot of sense from
an OO point-of-view, but it's damned nonintuitive for someone that's
used to drawing their own widgets and saying "I want a text field
-there-".  Using GTK+ and Swing has gotten me used to it, but the
dialog-unit system still makes more intuitive sense to me.

> But maybe that's just me.  I haven't really gotten into MFC.

MFC is nasty.  I was referring to how the vanilla Windows API does it.

--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.