[geeks] the "pen" TCP load balancer

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Nov 6 15:26:29 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, November 6, 2002 at 15:59:18 (-0500), Kurt Huhn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] the "pen" TCP load balancer
>
> Cool!  I should go revisit pen again and see how it's improved.  If it can
> work reliably, it might be time to implement it here.

nearly 20GB/month throughput (IIRC) to tens of thousands of happy web
surfing kids and parents or more (plus a happy group of web developers
who don't have to worry if one server craps out at any time, or even
whether one server can handle the load) is what I'd call "reliable"! ;-)

With some care and scripting you could even run a hot-standby machine in
parallel that would automatically take over, but since you can push
enormous loads through a machine that doesn't even really need any fans
to keep cool, let alone spinning disks to do what it does (beyond maybe
a hot-swap chassis fan and with hot-swap N+1 power supplies), such a
level of fault handling is probably overkill.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>