[geeks] Apple vs. Sun

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Wed Nov 6 14:17:33 CST 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>   Irrelevant.  No current desktop applications will get anywhere
>>> near that.
>>

>> 1) NLE
>

>   Never heard of it.  Can you provide a readers' digest version?
>
>> 2) Render farming
>

>   On DESKTOPS?  Umm, no.

Since this is my job, I can say that

a) people are very unlikely to use either Sun or Apple machines for
rendering. It just isn't cost effective. As crappy as PC's are, they are
still fast at crunching numbers. And we need the BIGGEST bang for the
buck. No Apple or Sun (AFAIK) can touch a Dual Athlon 1800 with 2GB of
ram for price/performance at RENDERING.

b) GigE for a renderfarm is just too expensive. At $400CAN per GigE
port, that's just too much. We run 100Mb to our 80 slaves, and it isn't
the greatest, but it works. We are starting to keep textures on the
local machines to reduce the amount of network traffic.

shawn