[geeks] Apple vs. Sun

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Nov 6 14:11:49 CST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Numerous studios are using Gig-e for sans.  Avid, I believe, is big into
> doing that.

Ewwww.  That's not a storage area network.  That's storage gone awry.
If your SAN doesn't look like a local device, it's not a SAN.  The SAN
does -not- live on the LAN--that's the whole point.  Unless I'm
misunderstanding you[1], what you're describing is an expensive NAS,
which is nice in it's own right, but not for the same jobs.

[1] And, I really hope I'm not.  Why would you want the SAN components
    interconnected with Ethernet--the absolute -worst- protocol for
    something that must not have congestion problems.
--
Jonathan Patschke
  "Albert Einstein nailed space-time, but the wild thing had him stumped.