[geeks] Apple vs. Sun

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 6 13:55:58 CST 2002

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 02:21 PM, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>>> Sun has 100Mbps ethernet.  Apple has 1Gbps.
>>
>>   Irrelevant.  No current desktop applications will get anywhere near
>> that.
>
> 1) NLE

   Never heard of it.  Can you provide a readers' digest version?

> 2) Render farming

   On DESKTOPS?  Umm, no.

> 3) NFS

   If your files are really so big that you need that much bandwidth to
move them in a reasonable amount of time, it's time to think about a
SAN.

> 4) X11

   Bullshit.  X is far from lightweight, but if you need more than
100Mbps for X traffic into your workstation, you're doing something
horribly wrong.

> 5) ftp within LAN

   See response to point #3.

> At my last job, individual users were able to saturate 100Mbps pipes
> easily with three of the five applications mentioned above.  I can
> personally do one of the remaining two right now.  No render farm for
> me (yet).

   Yes, highly technical people like us can easily tax a 100Mbps
link...or even a 55-60Mbps "100Mbps" ethernet.  But we are the minority.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "So you're really not gonna bite on the
St. Petersburg, FL              transvestite bait?"    -Doc Shipley