[geeks] Apple vs. Sun

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Wed Nov 6 12:04:30 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 12:27:40PM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> I mean, just a short comparison:
>
> Sun has one slower CPU.  Apple has two faster CPU's.
> Sun has IDE HDD.  Apple has SCSI.
> Sun has 100Mbps ethernet.  Apple has 1Gbps.
>
> Obviously in an all Sun shop there are advantages to low end Sun
> workstations.  Or if you want to port your UNIX app to Solaris and want
> to spend the least money possible doing it.  I don't have a problem
> with the Blade 150 other than its price.  Either beef up the hardware
> to match the price, or drop the price to match the hardware.

You really /are/ comparing apples and Oranges. The Apple is a desktop, the
Sun is a /workstation/. They're intended for two different audiences. You're
missing things like:

* Quality and quantity of support, warranty
* Quality of components used; custom vs. mass-produced
* Quality of product testing, manufacturing, and packaging
* I/O capabilities

Sun machines are usually sold to companies at a discount, which varies
between 20% and 40% most of the time, along with servers and support
contracts. It's an entirely different business than the desktop business
Apple is in. Personally, as an individual, I think it would be foolish to
purchase a 'new' Sun, but that does not mean that they do not have their
place.

David