[geeks] Misuse of Java

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 6 09:59:38 CST 2002

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 10:32 AM, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>> They seem to be about as aggressive as they've ever been.  They
>> released an entire new line of servers, from entry-level (V100) to
>> enterprise (Fire 15000) in the last year, and they had a major CPU
>> upgrade (UltraSPARC IIIcu).  That's not exactly sitting around and
>> counting ceiling tiles.
>
> Ah but the V100 is using the old UltraSPARC II family, no?  I tried
> going to Sun's web site last night but it was down for over an hour.
> Oops!
>
> They are still pimping machines that are only incremental upgrades
> over my lowly Ultra 5 (using UltraSPARC II processors)

   Lots of companies maintain a "low end" product line.  Gearing up a
chip fab is *expensive*, and it pays to use as many chips of a given
type as you can.  Put simply (and this isn't meant to sound as snotty
as it's going to come out), if their UltraSPARC-II-based machines are
too slow for you, don't buy one.  They're plenty fast for a very large
number of applications (and believe me, there's nothing even remotely
slow about four 450MHz UltraSPARC-IIs in an E450, as I learned a couple
of weeks ago) which is why they're still selling like crazy.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "So you're really not gonna bite on the
St. Petersburg, FL              transvestite bait?"    -Doc Shipley