[geeks] Misuse of Java

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Nov 6 09:27:22 CST 2002

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 09:10 AM, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> Maybe Sun is keeping their options open for a change of hardware
> architecture, or change of OS (Linux?)

I don't pretend to know what Sun is thinking, but switching from
Solaris to Linux would be about as smart as Oracle dumping 9i in favor
of selling rebadged MySQL.

I keep thinking that they use Java because they want people to see Java
being used for something other than the "Lake" applet, and that the
installer is slow because they've got non-Java programmers writing the
Java UI bits for Solaris.  Of course I don't know for sure, but that
seems to be a logical explanation.  Sun -needs- to hype Java right now,
with all of Microsoft's chest-beating over .net, but they could sure do
better than showcasing it in an installer that increases the
installation time by more than an order of magnitude.

> They've been warming up to Linux more and more, and they have not been
> very aggressive in developing new hardware or dumping their old
> processor line.

They seem to be about as aggressive as they've ever been.  They
released an entire new line of servers, from entry-level (V100) to
enterprise (Fire 15000) in the last year, and they had a major CPU
upgrade (UltraSPARC IIIcu).  That's not exactly sitting around and
counting ceiling tiles.

Their Linux effort seems to primarily be focused on keeping Cobalt on
life-support and selling "servers" to people who are afraid of the big
bad SPARC.  It's not like you can order an E-series or Fire system with
Dead Rat preloaded.  Yeeech, just the thought of it makes me ill.

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems