[geeks] Misuse of Java

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Nov 6 08:51:42 CST 2002

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 08:40 AM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I suspect that it is bad programming on the part of the java
> programmers, since I've seen fast, responsive java programs on machines
> much slower than a U1.

That's my feeling, as well.  Java code doesn't -have- to be slow.  It's
inherently slower then the equivalent binary object code, but there's a
lot to be said for optimizing your application, whether it's
interpreted, byte-compiled, or object-compiled.

> Now, this was pre swing, so maybe that makes a difference.

Swing is a big detriment to performance.  However, it's (arguably)
prettier and definitely more consistent than AWT.  That said, I can't
believe that most of the installer's slowness is due to Swing; there
just isn't that much UI there!

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems