[geeks] FDDI

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Nov 5 17:53:02 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:47:48PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > And what is SMT?
>
> One of the protocols in FDDI.  I believe that it is the part that passes
> the token about, but I'm not really an expert, so someone should correct
> me.

Err, correction.  It is a frame type in FDDI.  There are 3 frame types,
one is SMT, one is MAC, and one is LLC.  LLC frames carry the actual
data we want to send around.  I don't know what MAC frames do.  The SMT
frames are station management frames.  Ahh screw it.  LLC frames are
your data, and SMT or MAC frames are various types of overhead as best
as I can make out.

--
Joshua D. Boyd