[geeks] Fwd: from Silicon news

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon May 13 21:13:28 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 10:48:29AM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I'd love to start a non-profit record label whose sole job was to
> promote artists.  We'd have a CD-Press and a recording studio, and the
> only rights we'd have to their music was the right to defend it against
> being stolen by the big five.  We would only collect fees for production
> and overhead and very close to the margin.  Our sole job would be to
> flatten the market.  Our motto could be a very Austin Powers... "Oh
> Behave..."

if you are all looking for the record label with the "right" attitude, look
at Honest Don's the label run by Fat Mike of NOFX.   NOFX even sings a song
about record labels (Dinosaurs Will Die) and released The Decline with a
"warning" on the CD telling the buyer to not pay more than $8 for the CD.

either way, check out the song, it's got the same idea you guys do.

-brian
--
"when it absolutely has to be there oh, sometime in the next few weeks"