[geeks] power distribution

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Mar 30 17:58:00 CST 2002

I'm looking at my computer gear, and I think it is time to do something more
professional for power.  I'm drawing less than 15 AMPs, so it doesn't need to
be too fancy.

What I have now is a wall box with two outlets.  One outlet is connected to a
spike protector, the other is connected to an APC UPS (a really small one
meant for one computer and monitor, but connected to three computers instead).
To get more outlets, I've also used two el-cheapo power strips connected, one
each, to the spike protector and the UPS (err, one of the non UPSed plugs).
But, this is a major mess, and cords are all over the floor.

So, I'm looking at things like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2013267018
(a 12 port power dist unit from compaq), and thinking that maybe things would
be better with 2 units like that  That would be more than enough outlets.
Anyone else doing anything like this?  The one problem I see is that this unit
doesn't appear very wall wort friendly, so I'd have to get extension cords and
lay the worts on a shelf, which gets back to being pretty ugly.

Such devices would be especially cool if I had a rack to put my machines on.

--
Joshua D. Boyd