[geeks] NAT and Filtering on Solaris

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Mar 29 19:52:36 CST 2002

> Strange, I'm on here too, with NO PROBLEMS at *all*.  Whats your IP?
> Email me, and I'll do some traces.

None, at the moment, as I'm visiting my fiancee in New England. :)

I'm fairly certain that our IP blocks are different, as I was last in a
/28 (!).

> >      I recently found out that IPFilter runs on Solaris.  How well does it
> > work?  What sort of differences can I expect when moving from the Linux
> > world of "easy setup, crap performance"?
>
> Works great.  I use it on the SunHELP boxes.  Just grab one of the packages
> that people on the mailing list generate, or if you have the Sun compilers,
> build your own.

It dislikes GCC about as much as I do?

> Why not just get one of the Netgear hardware-based "router" nat boxes?  I've
> got a RT314 here, and its been fine..

Because I'm damned stubborn, and I haven't seen an off-the-shelf NAT box
that can forward port X to port Y.  That, and computer-based NAT has
worked fine for me in the past.  I see no need in plonking down money on a
piece of hardware that can do something that I can have done for free in
software on an existing piece of hardware.

That and I'm out of money until I get my first paycheck from my new job.

--Jonathan