[geeks] FC-AL conversation from last month

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 28 14:28:06 CST 2002

On March 28, Scott Newell wrote:
> >  I read with interest the apparent problem of handling load-balancing
> >and failover with ATX power supplies.  I may have a solution to that
> >problem, if is indeed still a problem.
>
> Would it involve big honkin' sense-fets?

  That's the idea.  Another possibility is balancing resistors, though
that's sorta half-baked...got the idea from a ham radio linear
amplifier.  I'm digging through Linear Technology's line card now...I
know they make a lot of really nice switching regulators and hot-swap
controllers; they might have something for this as well.

  Lacking this, I might just design one.  Modern SMPSU controllers are
relatively easy to work with, and impressive in their capabilities.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "...it's leaving me this unpleasant,
St. Petersburg, FL                 damp feeling on my shorts..." -Sridhar