[geeks] [Fwd: 1024-bit RSA keys in danger of compromise]

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Mar 28 13:30:29 CST 2002

On 28 Mar 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Interesting, to say the least.
> 	Greg

[889 lines, 56KB DELETED]

First off, regardless of how interesting the article was, did we
REALLY need the 800+ lines of his keys?  I'm surprised they got
by Bill's filter, DeMIME has been killing them lately.

Ugh.

Secondly.  The article.

Part of it doesn't format the sentence well and seems to suggest that
Schneier supports the ideas presented.  I don't think this was done
on purpose, but was just sloppy writing...  Schneier doesn't believe
that the paper indicates 1024-bit keys are doomed.

I don't like to shrug off paranoia, so I won't... but I find it long on
paranoia and leaps of logic, and short on the math and practicality
of this (very theoretical) "machine" that can crack 1024-bit keys
in "minutes or seconds".

So, for short, I don't buy it.  Schneier's article went into a lot more
detail about the paper and what parts were good and what weren't, this
mainly was paranoia and 50k of keys.

--Kurt