[geeks] Mailing list software.

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Mar 28 12:18:48 CST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   "stable" in this case means "good enough for the root nameservers".
> There are some pretty security-conscious folk in that community as well.

Okay, cool.

>   I agree 100%, and I generally believe in risk vs. consequence
> planning...but in this case, 4 was so bad, and 8 was so much better,
> that there really wasn't any choice.

To me at this point, it sounds like Theo's experiences are pretty much
opposite yours...  not that he loves 4, but since you were doing digex
where you had to do LOTS and LOTS of DNS stuff (I would assume), you got
to see how bad 4 was and how much easier 8 made your life.  I suspect
from his point of view (and perhaps a number of the OBSD developers),
they have done very simple setups.  Since they haven't seen the big
payoff you did, they don't have a big impetus to audit 8 (which is
what would be required to allow it into the base).

But, I will say, that there packages and ports has BIND 8, and make
it VERY easy to install.  So, I don't think they've abandoned people on it.

--Kurt