[geeks] Netgear RT14 and Verizon

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Mar 27 21:48:42 CST 2002

OK, I attached the NetGear rt314 that I bought on the list's advice, and
followed the wizard, left everything as default, except I changed the
encapsulation to PPPoE, and of course, I entered my username and password.

So, it didn't work.  Argh.  Follow the little booklets trouble shooting,
still no go (but I learned that the problem is that the netgear isn't
connecting to verizon).

So, I looked at the thick book on CD, telneted to the netgear, and went to
menu 24.4 (setup device, then diagnostics), the selected internet connection
test, which gives me a log of the connection attempt.  See after sig.

So, obviously something is configured wrong, but Verizon gave me absolutely
no configuration information, WinPoet has no settings to check (other than
username and password), and verizon says that such devices (in addition to
software NATs) are officially unsupported.  I'm interested in hearing advice
from people who used this device with other PPPoE services, and people who
used other devices with Verizon.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

Start dialing for node <verizon>...
### Hit any key to continue.###
$$$ DIALING dev=6 ch=0..........
$$$ OUTGOING-CALL phone(fff)
$$$ CALL CONNECT speed<10000000> type<6> chan<0>
$$$ LCP opened
$$$ PAP user/pass sent
$$$ LCP closed
$$$ Recv'd TERM-REQ