[geeks] Mailing list software.

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Mar 27 15:36:22 CST 2002

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:12:36PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   You're preaching to the choir with that one, Kurt...BIND4 works,
> sure...but BIND8 is *SO* much better...sane config file format, much
> more configurable, much better under load...I'm definitely not talking
> about running BIND8 simply because it's newer.  Moving Digex from
> BIND4 to BIND8 made my life a *lot* easier.

But if they've audited BIND4 then they can safely include it in the
"official" distro.  There's nothing stopping users from upgrading to
BIND8 if they want to, but they can't go complaining about holes in
OpenBSD if it lets the bad people in.  The only thing OpenBSD has to
"trade" on is its reputation, so that must be preserved at all costs.
If that means being a bit out-of-date, so be it.

You will notice that the "stable" version of Debian Linux is also
somewhat out-of-date.  That's for similar reasons.  They trade on the
reputation of it Just Working, which means they can't go including
new versions of software which may break things in subtle ways.  If
you want new versions, run the unstable or the testing version.

  For every vengeance, there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
                                            -- Cartoon Law X