[geeks] mozilla getting better

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 26 17:40:58 CST 2002

> would someone please explain to me the difference between O32 and N32?

They're different ABIs.  O32 is 32-bit everything.  N32 recognizes that
the world is moving towards 64-bitness.  The main differences between O32
and N32 are the way that registers are used (all registers are assumed to
be 64 bits, even if only the least-significant 32 bits are used) and the
format of the symbol table and debugging information.

I can't seem to find the Insight article that clearly illuminates all
this, but, if you've a full install of IRIX 6.5, there's an article in one
of the developer manuals in Insight that explains all this better than I
ever shall be able to do.

--Jonathan