[geeks] thoughts on SMTP

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Sun Mar 24 15:54:30 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 03:43:15PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> If you can design a system with any modern server platform which runs an
> SMTP mailer (on some kind of unix), even flat out in some test scenario,
> and can get anywhere near a constant 50% cpu utilisation for any
> significant extended period of time then you've done something wrong in
> the design (eg. used software RAID or some such stupid similar thing! :-)

You really need to stop posting about stuff you don't know anything about.
Saying you can't push a machine to max CPU utilization with an e-mail server
application is just damned stupid. You can push any box to max CPU if you
have enough load. Trust me, given enough users you'll hammer even an E10k to
its knees. You've just never dealt with volume that large.

David