[geeks] thoughts on SMTP

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun Mar 24 14:51:37 CST 2002

[ On Sunday, March 24, 2002 at 09:25:40 (-0800), David Passmore wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] thoughts on SMTP
>
> Bandwidth is cheap compared to the processing power it would take to
> compress/decompress the several hundred gigabytes a day that run through the
> largest ISPs' mail servers.

Huh?  That's probably not true.

$500/MB/s/month, which is about the absolute cheapest you can find around
here, will buy and service one hell of a lot of CPU -- more than enough
to save a few MB/s of peak load bandwidth requirements!  if you've got a
T3 doing SMTP alone you could easily squeeze 20-30% more through it with
SMTP compression and still save a huge bundle of ongoing monthly costs.

(not that I'm suggesting compression of SMTP traffic will make any kind
of dent in the average ISPs peak bandwidth requirements -- it _really_
won't -- nobody is doing even 15% SMTP throughput these days)

> E-mail is a free service, a loss-leader as you

Huh?  None of the ISPs I work with believe that.

--
								Greg A. Woods