[geeks] Massively parallel... cheap?

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Sun Mar 24 10:34:58 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 02:13:35AM -0500, Keith Campbell wrote:

> 1) how much money are you willing to spend

As much as it takes before it breaks me? :)

> 2) when do you want the work completed

There's no completion of this. This is a simulation that will basically run
until I stop it. It's a neural networking project, I'm sorry I can't be more
specific.

> next come details of the data:
> 3) is each data point isolated, or does it rely on other data points, if
> it relies on others, can they be localized to a few or limited number,
> or do you have to process the entire set at once.  This will determine
> what kind/speed of communication is required between
> processes/processors.

The entire set will have to be processed at once.

Basically what I'm looking for is some input on the most cost-effective
multi-processor solutions that I can cluster together with the highest
integer performance. I cannot afford to use a machine that has significant
vector processing capabilities (although it would help). Are there 4-proc+
Pentium Pro motherboards out there cheap?

David