[geeks] Massively parallel... cheap?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Mar 24 01:43:48 CST 2002

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 11:03:38PM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> As for clusters, a bunch of 1U rack-mount systems might do it, but the
> power consumption and heat would be high, not to mention the
> complexity...

You think thats bad, try Compaq DL360 systems *with* the added-in
Insight Management boards - basically they're an entire 486 system on
a board, that does the same stuff as LOM for SPARCs... gives you total
system control via a (*barf*) web browser.

You basically plug the system KVM connections into the insight board
instead of the "main" system connections, but then you have an extra
ethernet connection for the insight board itself (and IP address, etc).

I should take some pictures of the half-rack full of these at work next
week.. Really cable hell.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford