rogue TLD's (was Re: [geeks] Screw Verisign/NETSOL move your .com .org .net now)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sat Mar 23 12:55:26 CST 2002

On Saturday, March 23, 2002, at 10:41 AM, FTG wrote:

> I hunted around for months for a good register of domains.
>
> I chose www.gandi.net  (they are located in France)
>
> 1. They state right at the top of the term and conditions
>    "That you OWN your own domain"  they make no claim to it.
> 2. $8.00 a year for a .com .net .org (cool)
> 3. They will either host the dns or you can change things
>    by using their web interface.

i used domainmonger to register my domains, but i wonder sometimes when
people bitch about the lack of domains available, why they dont just
register their own TLD with their own server and give it out to relevant
folks? I realize this isnt appropriate for widespread distribution.
however, i have forty or so friends plus several companies using our
small group (3 total, one master, two slaves) of nameservers. this means
any of us can give any of or coworkers "false" domains and have them
resolve properly, all the machines in our homes resolve properly to
eachother -- as well as to our friends machines. i.e., I can resolve
"gateway.tyler" when i am logged into "powerbook.alex". plus its free.

i cant see how named can be so hard to configure that more people dont
use it in this fashion.

alex

--
alex j avriette, perl hacker