[geeks] Formatting or Wiping a Tape

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Mar 23 12:48:27 CST 2002

On March 23, Ron 'The InSaNe OnE' Rosson wrote:
> Well I finally go my tape drive hooked up to my U1. The person who gave it to
> me also thru in some used tapes. The problem is under Solaris I am not sure
> how to wipe or format the tapes so I can use them to back up data.

  Most tapes don't get "formatted" per se.  You didn't mention what
kind of tape drive you're using, but for some, a bulk eraser works
well.  What sort of drive is it?

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "Watch those lateral G's man,
St. Petersburg, FL               I've got sandwiches in my lap!" -Sridhar