[geeks] Fetchmail, pine, etc

Ferris McCormick fmccor at patriot.net
Thu Mar 21 06:46:37 CST 2002

On Wednesday, 20 March 2002,

>    9. ISP stuff and mail configs (Dave Kimmel)
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:46:44 -0700 (MST)
> From: Dave Kimmel <criscokid at v-wave.com>
> To: geeks at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [geeks] ISP stuff and mail configs
>
> My ISP is changing stuff and, in a nutshell, my email address has to
> change.  This causes me no great concern, since I don't have very many
> people to tell and only 4 or 5 mailing lists (and a couple web site
> memberships) to switch over.  Plus I won't get those newsletters that I
> actually subscribed to but just delete on sight.  So, overall, in spite of
> the annoyance, this doesn't bug me much.
>
> Now comes stupid question time:  What's the best way to suck email down
> from two (or more) different mailboxes (I can use IMAP or POP3 to access
> one, but might only get POP3 for the other)?

I use pine for outgoing and fetchmail for reading from several servers
or users into one mailbox, configured as below.

> Currently, I use Pine's IMAP support to leave the INBOX on my ISP's
> server, but this won't work to combine multiple INBOXes into one.  I can
> use forwarding on the old account to accomplish this, but I figure that if
> I've got to change my mail setup anyway I might as well do it right.
>
> I'm considering using Fetchmail, but I don't quite know how it works
> (yet).  From the looks of things, I can either have it deliver to the SMTP
> server on my local box (exim), or run it right through /usr/sbin/sendmail
> (which ends up running exim).  I don't know how this will all work yet.
>

> To make things more fun, my user id on my local machine doesn't match the
> one on any of the mail accounts, but I think Fetchmail can handle this.

Fetchmail can; Here is my (edited) '.fetchmailrc' file:

# Configuration created Fri Feb 26 11:06:29 1999 by fetchmailconf
set logfile /export/home0/ferris/Mail/fetchlog
set postmaster "fmccor"
set properties ""
#
#
poll <server-1>.net with proto IMAP
    user fmccor there with password "<somepassword>" is fmccor here
	options pass8bits warnings 3600 expunge 12
	mimedecode
	mda "/usr/lib/sendmail -oem                %T"
#
    user "<otheruser>" there with password "<otherpw>" is fmccor here
	options pass8bits warnings 3600 expunge 1
	mimedecode
	mda "/usr/lib/sendmail -oem                %T"
#
#   ETC

poll <server-2>.net with proto POP3
	user ferris there with password "<n-th pw>" is fmccor here
	options pass8bits warnings 3600 expunge 10
	mimedecode
	mda "/usr/lib/sendmail -oem                %T"
#
#  ETC
#
#

> Any advice for this kind of stuff?  Anything that might come and bite me
> in the ass when I least expect it?  I will, of course, test it (read: send
> an email to work, make sure that address rewriting works, send one from
> work and make sure it appears properly, call it working).

It's not pretty, but it works for me.

> Thanks,
> -- Dave Kimmel
>    criscokid at v-wave.com