[geeks] Zip disks

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Mar 22 16:37:27 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 04:32:35PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 05:13:43PM -0800, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Does anyone use Zip anymore?  I've got a Zip Plus that's just sitting
> > doing nothing...
>
> A client bought me a USB Zip 250 drive a couple of months ago just so
> I could read some old Zip disks.. but since then the drive just sits in
> a drawer in case i need it again.
>
> The problem with Zip drives was that they sold the drives almost at
> cost, and tried to make the profit on the *media*.  Should have been
> the other way around.

I didn't think that the media was too bad.  The most I ever paid was 10
dollars a disk.  At the time 2 gig drives were $200, so this was about the
same cost per meg.  Now, hard drives are a lot cheaper, but most of my disks
I paid $5 to $8 for, and all of those were at least 1 to 2 years ago.

--
Joshua D. Boyd