[geeks] thoughts on SMTP

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Mar 22 15:05:26 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 08:58:28PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:

> You can't seek to an arbitrary point in the uncompressed data encoded in a
> gzipped file.  You could have some kind of compressed mailbox format, but
> compressed mbox it wouldn't be, as at the absolute minimum you'd need an

You can seek if you decompress to /tmp first.  Remeber, one of my big
struggles in life (at least until I get my server into colo) is trying to make
more fit into the miniscule amount of space I have on the school CS server.

So, I use things like the emacs package that lets me work on gziped text files
(it keeps the uncompressed version in /tmp), and am interested in other things
being as compressed as possible.  Heck, when I type scm, rather than lauch
scm, I'm lauching a script that decomresses scm's libraries to /tmp, then
launches scm.  I'm looking for ways to accomplish similar things for other
packages.

--
Joshua D. Boyd