[geeks] thoughts on SMTP

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Mar 22 15:03:04 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 03:59:06PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On March 22, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > I installed mod_gzip.  Works *great*, has reduced my web bandwidth use a
>   Kick ass.  I'm interested in seeing your compression stats.

Just for sunhelp so far this morning, for the past hour or so:

http://www.sunhelp.org/mgstat

>   Have you received any complaints about compatibility issues?  I know
> there are a lot of curmudgeons out there who don't believe in
> upgrading software...there might still be some non-HTTP1.1-compliant
> weenies running around.

No - it negotiates, and if the client doesent support it, sends it
uncompressed.  I can even do images - they work fine in Mozilla and IE,
but break in NS4.x.  so I only compress non-images.  My config directives:

# mod_gzip configuration directives
#
mod_gzip_on             Yes
mod_gzip_dechunk        Yes
mod_gzip_keep_workfiles No
mod_gzip_temp_dir       /www/mod_gzip_temp
mod_gzip_min_http       1000
mod_gzip_minimum_file_size      250
mod_gzip_maximum_file_size      0
mod_gzip_command_version        mod_gzip_command
mod_gzip_item_include   file \.htm$
mod_gzip_item_include   file \.html$
mod_gzip_item_include   file \.php$
mod_gzip_item_include   file \.pl$
mod_gzip_item_include   file \.cgi$
mod_gzip_item_include   mime ^text/.*
mod_gzip_item_include   mime ^application/x-httpd-php
mod_gzip_item_include   mime ^httpd/unix-directory$
mod_gzip_item_exclude   file \.css$
mod_gzip_item_exclude   file \.js$
mod_gzip_item_exclude   mime ^image/.*
mod_gzip_item_exclude   reqheader User-Agent:.*Mozilla.*4\.07

> > bit.  Why hasnt someone created something like this for email?  Could
> > be a SMTP option, to gzip the mail streams on the fly...
>   This is a VERY interesting idea...

Yeah...

Bill

--