[geeks] Further info on Sol8 networking problem

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Mar 22 08:09:47 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:40:56PM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 06:48 , Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> >Bingo.  That nailed it.  That's the problem.  The standard (64bytes)
> >and 500
> >bytes work, but 1472 bytes doesn't.  Just have to figure out how to set
> >the
> >Solaris MTU.
> >

> What scares me is why you would have to. :-)

Well, maybe I jumped the gun.  For some reason the Solaris 8 machine is not
properly negotiating MTUs.  My network works just fine with a 1500byte mtu, but
obviously somewhere past the firewall (or perhaps it is the firewall) there is
a problem with that size.  Things break somewhere between 1300 and 1350 bytes.

Perhaps setting the Solaris MTU lower isn't the proper answer though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd