[geeks] More free goodies

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Wed Mar 20 00:24:07 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 21:38, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:28:39PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> > It'll work with a Millenium or newer card (anything with a Matrox
> > RamDac).  Figuring out the modelines is a bitch though.  Too bad Sun
> > didn't ship Matrox cards in their machines instead of that ATI crap, eh?
>
> I really pretty much have no use for ATI cards.  Matrox's seem to have the
> best graphics quality of anything on 2D (presumably SGIs are better, but I've
> never done an AB comparison of those), and Nvidea seems to have the best 3D

I've compared Matrox cards to each other, and to my SGI Indy, with both
8-bit and 24-bit options.  They all seem to have pretty similar image
stability and "cleanliness".  I don't remember how well the updating
large portions of the screen compared, but I think the Indy would be
about on par with the Matrox Millenium II.  Since that's damn near so
fast that you can't see the redraws anyway, I'm not sure it matters.  On
the other hand, my C2D takes 1.7 seconds to redraw the entire screen.
Ouch.

> quality in both performance and image quality of the consumer/prosumer
> market.  Wildcats sure are fast and flexible, but I've seen more bugs in them
> than I have Nvideas, although I suspect that might have something to do with
> other people writing broken apps more than the cards being bad.  Their video
> signal doesn't hold up as well to bad cables though, thats for sure.

URGH!  I hate cheap video cables...  BNC is really nice, except that it
takes a lot of real estate on the card for connectors.  I wonder how the
digital connections for the new LCDs fare...
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.